Academic year or semester program
What is a high school exchange program exactly?
High School Exchange Program is a very complex program, designed especially for high school students from all around the world who wants to study in the United States of America. This program means that the student will study in an American high school for a semester (fall or spring) or an academic year (9-10 months). During the stay, the students will stay with host families. These high schools and host families are carefully selected by our American partner organization. Participation in this program requires serious devotion and commitment not just from the students but from their parents as well. Each participant must complete an application form (parts of this form must be completed by the parents, English teacher, family physician-doctor, etc.). During the program our sponsor makes sure that the students are supervised and they achieve the goals they have set out! Participation must be a mutual agreement between the students and their parents, because this program will be successful only if both party wants the same results.
Who is eligible to participate?
This High School Exchange program is open to all the students from Romania and Hungary if they fulfill the following conditions
- 1. If you are between the ages of 15 and 18 (cannot have your 18th birthday prior to the month April in the year you want to apply).
- 2. If you have good school results (this means that you have to have above a passing grade in each one of your class).
- 3. If you speak the English language (at least somewhere between beginner and medium level). The better you speak the more success you will have on the SLEP test (test required to be taken by the students when applying for the program)
- 4. If you are physically and mentally healthy.
- 5. If you have an open mind and you are interested in seeing the world and learning a new language and culture.
- 6. If your parents have the financial possibility of supporting this exchange program.
If you checked all of the conditions mentioned above, then what are you waiting for?? Tell your parents to pick up the phone and call us! Your journey might be closer than you think! Be part of the fun!
What are the benefits of the program?
This High School Exchange Program was designed especially for high school students who are at the peak of their teenage life and they can easily absorb new information, adapt quickly to new conditions. There are several benefits of this program, but each student gets different benefits after spending a school year in the States. Benefits mainly depend on ones personality, open-mind, and curiousness. The 10+1 main benefits are:
- 1. You will learn the English language like it would be your second mother tongue.
- 2. You will be a member of an American host family.
- 3. You will attend an American high school, just like in the movies.
- 4. You will make lifetime friendships.
- 5. You will learn to appreciate other cultures.
- 6. You can be a member of high school sports team.
- 7. You can participate in events organized by the sponsor organization.
- 8. You will live like a typical American.
- 9. You will see another part of the world.
- 10. You will become more independent and mature.
- 11. Upon return, you will be a whole new person.
The host family
Host families are volunteers. They are not paid for hosting foreign exchange students. The sponsor organization carefully selects host families based on their desire to host a visiting student and ability to provide a safe, comfortable home and positive cultural experience for you in the United States. People of all ages and from all walks of life volunteer to serve as host families. Grandparents, families with younger children, single-parent families and traditional two-parent families have all hosted successfully.
Host families are located all across the U.S., primarily in smaller towns and rural areas. You may live in a home in a suburban community or a farmhouse out in the country. There is no “typical” host family. You could be within walking distance of your high school or you may need to take the yellow bus to school daily (that is another great experience that you see only in the movies).
The High School
Homestay communities selected for the Academic Year in America program have schools of excellent academic quality that provide a valuable educational experience. American schools offer an “interdisciplinary” approach to education, which means that students take a variety of courses in language, history, geography, literature and science. Extra curricular activities are also considered a big part of the learning process and students are encouraged to participate in these.
You have your own schedule of classes based on your educational objectives and considering courses you have already completed. Courses are offered at varying levels of proficiency. Your high school guidance counselor will help to ensure that you are placed at the proper level. School sizes vary from small to very large, each offering a unique learning opportunity for students. Since school systems vary from country to country, you may not always be placed with students your own age in every class.
The local coordinator
Each foreign exchange student has a Local Coordinator who can answer questions or help solve a problem and be a friend. Local Coordinators may also arrange activities, trips and cultural events. Local Coordinators serve as community representatives for the Academic Year in America program. To read more about the responsibilities of a coordinator, please order our free brochure and also watch the video on this page.